An extreme exposure of the skin to different environmental factors can damage its color and structure. So, a dull and dark skin can result from environmental pollution, overexposure to sun, medical condition, stress, dry skin, chemical cosmetic products or poor lifestyle habits.
Those who experience such problems tend to achieve flawless and fair skin. There are vast number of creams and lotions on the market for skin-lightening but most of them possess very toxic chemicals that can harm your skin. Often, they can be overpriced and cost a fortune.
However, there are natural solutions that will lighten and brighten your skin naturally and will save you time and of course money.
Here is a list of top 10 products for brighter and lighter skin:
Along with milk as the main component, yogurt provides many beneficial nutrients for the skin. It contains lactic acid that has bleaching qualities. You can use the following method for all skin types.
- First, gently rub some plain yogurt directly on the skin. Let it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with water. Practice this method for a few weeks and you will notice significant change in your looking.
- Second, you can combine 1 tsp of yogurt with half a tsp of honey. Apply the combination on the face and neck. Let it stay on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it with water. Do this treatment on a daily basis in order to improve the skin tone and looking.
- Third, combine a little lemon juice, some oatmeal and yogurt and make a paste. Apply the paste as a face mask. This mask will make your skin supple and moisturized.
Oranges abound in vitamin C, one of the most important ingredient in the skin care. Their bleaching qualities can lighten your skin tone.
So, a regular intake of fresh orange juice can improve the texture and its suppleness. For skin lightening use the oranges in the following ways:
- Mix 2 tsps. of freshly squeezed orange juice and a little of turmeric powder. Mix it well and apply it on your face and neck before you go to bed. You can also apply it on the legs and hands. After 20-30 minutes wash it off. Practice the treatment on a daily basis.
- Dry some orange peels and grind them into powder. Mix 1 tsp of them with 1 tsp of plain yogurt and make a paste. Apply it on your face and let it stay for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with water. This method will help you lighten spots and marks on your face. One or two treatments a week are enough but no more than that.
3. Gram Flour
Gram flour is an excellent ingredient for lightening of the skin. It’s due to the various nutrients that protect and keep the skin healthy. This remedy will remove the excess oil from your skin and will keep the natural moisture of your skin.
- Combine some gram flour with a small amount of water in order to make a thick paste.
- Apply it on the face, legs and hands.
- Let it on until it dries then rinse it off with water.
Honey bleaches and moisturizes the skin in the same time. In fact, dry skin is the most common reason for uneven skin tone. Its antibacterial qualities will remove the age spots and acne scars.
- Apply some honey on your face, let in on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This will help you remove all those dead skin cells thus providing you a bright and more fresh look than before. Once a day would be enough.
- A combination of 1 tsp of honey and a lemon juice, 1 tsp of milk powder, ½ tablespoon almond oil is a powerful skin-lightening mask. Let it on your skin for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it with cold water. Practice this treatment every other day.
It’s the acidic content in lemons that works as a natural bleaching agent and the abundance of vitamin C promotes new cell growth. Lemons, are rich in antioxidants that are very good for skin complexion.
- Dip a cotton ball in freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply it on your face. Also, you cut a lemon and directly rub it over the affected skin so that the juice stick to the skin. Let it stay for at least one hour and then rinse it off with water. Once a day will be enough. Although very simple, this method will definitely lighten your skin and prevent the development of scars.
- Combine 3 tsps. of lemon juice with 1 tsp of turmeric powder. Apply it on your face so that it stays for an hour. Wash your face with water. Practice this treatment once a day.
- Also, you can mix 1 tsp of lemon juice, milk powder and honey. Apply the mixture on the skin and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Then wash it off. It is not necessarily to do this every day but every other day will be enough.
Note: Make sure there are no open wound in the moment of appliance of these remedies. This is because the acid in lemon juice can cause pain in the open wounds or it may not be suitable for sensitive skin.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera can successfully heal hyperpigmentation and restore your original skin color. In fact, hyperpigmentation is the one of the main reason for uneven skin tone.
Its cooling effect will regenerate new cells and build up the damaged tissues. The following remedy will help you lighten dark spots and improve the overall look.
- Peel the outer layers of the Aloe Vera leaf. Squeeze the substance from it.
- Apply the gel onto your skin.
- Let it stay on your skin for about half an hour and then rinse it off with water.
- Practice this at least twice a day for two weeks.
You can substitute an Aloe Vera plant with an Aloe Vera gel bought in the market.
Papaya is a common ingredient in many beauty treatments that are used for skin lightening. It contains natural bleaching qualities whose nutrients make your skin glow with health.
- Eat papaya regularly because the cleansing qualities will cleanse your skin of impurities that cause dark skin.
- Take the inside part of papaya and rub your skin with it. Let the skin dry and then wash it with water. Practice this treatment on a daily basis and it will give you a nice glow to your skin.
- Combine a mashed ripe papaya with a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply this mask on your face and neck. Let it dry for half an hour and then rinse it off with cold water. Do this once a week and you will see the needed results.
Turmeric improves the skin complexion by building up the melanin content and maintaining the skin tone. Also, its antioxidant and antiseptic qualities will improve the overall health of your skin.
- Mix a milk cream and turmeric powder until you make a thick paste. Apply it on your face. Leave it on to dry and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this regularly and you will get satisfying results.
- Also, combine 2 tsps. of gram flour, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply it on your face and let it dry for 20-25 minutes. Scrub it off and wash your skin with lukewarm water.
Cucumber ties collagen and firms your skin thus providing a light skin tone. Also, cucumber cools your skin. It is convenient for all skin types.
- Slice a cucumber and place it on the dark skin areas that need lightening. Let them on for a few minutes. After you remove them, wash your skin with lukewarm water. Practice this treatment twice a day.
- Mince a cucumber and add some honey to make a spot-reducing mask. Apply it on your face and neck. Let it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash it with cold water. For more optimal results, do this twice a day.
- Mix 1 tsp of cucumber and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply it on your face and let it dry for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with water. Do this once a day.
Before you encourage growth of new cells you should remove the old ones. For that reason, oatmeal will be of great help. It will exfoliate your skin, providing a soft and supple look.
- Combine oatmeal and tomato juice and apply the combination on your face. Let it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Rub your face gently so that the oatmeal removes the dead skin cells. Practice this on daily basis.
- Also, you can mix 1 tsp of oatmeal powder, a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric. After you make a thick paste, apply it on the face. When dried, rinse it off with water. Do this every day.
These natural solutions will help you lighten your skin. Although effective, these treatments will take time so be patient in order to achieve the needed results. Bear in mind that a healthy skin is a very important thing, so make sure consume more healthy food.